Sunday, September 29, 2013

It's Always Sunny in Arizona

Now that I've been here about a month, I have noticed even more Michigan/Arizona differences. Please enjoy part two of culture shock / simple facts I have learned about Arizona/Tucson in general.

  • It is literally sunny every day. Whenever I check the weather for the week, it's always a little row of suns. No clouds in sight. This is a strange concept for me. 
  • In the paper the other day, I saw an article about places to go to see leaves changing. It was so strange to me! Three places were listed and none of them seemed to have an abundance of color-changing trees. What a dramatic difference from having color-changing trees visible out my window for the past 22 years!
  • Business casual is more casual than it is in Michigan (or in Virginia or California, according to fellow staff at Iskashitaa.)
  • Someone told me that they had scheduled a speaker for November, but they canceled it because 70 was the average temperature and people wouldn't sit outside because it was too cold. 70 degrees. Too cold....this is not something I am able to comprehend.
  • The mountain ranges are a natural compass. Catalinas to the north. Rincon to the east, Tucson to the west. (The southern range isn't as visible in most of the city.) 
  • Helmets are a thing here. Tucson is considered a bike-friendly city (although most of the people who tell me that own cars), and I've noticed that the majority of people wear helmets. Typical MSU students don't wear helmets while biking. I think this can be easily attributed to the setting (MSU is a largely enclosed campus with bike paths separate from roads; Tucson is a large city with bike lanes.)
  • I now recognize the Tucson area code in phone numbers. It's interesting because after being on campus for 4 years, most people have different area codes, so it is normal to say the full 10 digit number. Here, however, the area code (520) can be assumed and many people simply give out their 7 digit number. This sometimes throws me off at work when I'm taking down a number.
  • Lizards are the squirrels of Arizona. In Michigan, squirrels are everywhere. Here, it's lizards that scramble frantically through yards.
  • In my neighborhood, nearly all the mailboxes are physically attached to the houses. (A few are embedded in the fences that enclose the entire yard, but these are the exception. In Michigan, practically all mailboxes are at the ends of driveways.)
  • The sidewalks are random and unreliable. Apparently when Tucson was built the street plans did not include sidewalks, so some places have them and some don't. In addition, if there is sidewalk in front of your home and it gets damaged, the city won't replace it, you have to.
  • Citrus grows here. I've always thought of lemons, oranges, and grapefruits growing in exotic places, but they grow here! A part of town is called Orange Grove; it actually is an orange grove.

    Probably there are more things, but this is all I can think of for now. Apologies for any typos; the keyboard on this computer is terrible. Fortunately I should have mine soon!

1 comment: