Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Activities and Acronyms

It has now been 2 weeks since I arrived in Tucson, and I have now had a full week of work, so I wanted to share about some of the things I have been doing. So much is going on that it is still hard to get a grasp on what my schedule will be like, but things are starting to take shape.

At work:

  • Last Tuesday, I went with Natalie (the development director) to a lunch for the YAVs in the area, since Iskashitaa will have a YAV this year. YAV--Young Adult Volunteers, is a program through the Presbyterian church. It is similar to the US-2 program, but it only lasts for one year. It has been great to meet Heather (our YAV, and the harvesting coordinator), especially since we are learning things at the same time. 
  • Last week I spent most of my time in the office preparing a presentation, sending emails, and familiarizing myself with the many Googledocs of Iskashitaa. The director's house is on the same property, so we also have 3 dogs running around. A common afternoon activity is comforting the dog that is afraid of thunder. (Since it is still monsoon season, we frequently have afternoon storms.) 
  • Saturday we had the Farmer's Market, which I posted about a few days ago. 
  • On Sunday, I went to Rincon UCC (United Church of Christ) for Connection Sunday. We set up a table and talked with people before and after their two services, and we also attended one of the services. The UCC was an interesting experience and a different viewpoint for me. The theological differences were evident in the service, but I appreciated the great heart for social justice & peace, the welcoming spirit, and awareness about global events.  This church is going to be a partner with Iskashitaa for a new program they are starting called Dishes & Stories. (More about that on another day.) 
  • Yesterday, I went with Natalie to Casas Adobes UCC for a presentation. She gave a general presentation about refugee resettlement/refugee 101 and the programs that Iskashitaa offers, and then talked about potential partnerships. 
  • This morning, I did a presentation for the United Methodist Women (UMW) at the First United Methodist Church (FUMC). The presentation focused on the US-2 program, my journey to this point, and what I will be doing with Iskashitaa. I also met the president and president-elect of Tucson's Church Women United (CWU), who I will be meeting/interacting with more starting next week. The women were very welcoming and I enjoyed the morning and lunch. 
  • Acronyms are a big part of my life. 
Non-work Activities: 
  • On Wednesday, I went to the second Wesley Foundation meeting. This was an uplifting evening of worship and fellowship. 
  • On Thursday, my friend and fellow US-2 Darlene came over to visit. This was a great night! Darlene is also from Michigan, and because we are in the same program we are able to relate to each other well. Darlene has given me great advice about living in Tucson and it was so uplifting to see her.
  • Thursday afternoon I managed my first trip on the bus! This is an accomplishment because the bus system is pretty elaborate and confusing. I went to one of the library branches and checked out 3 books. I'm planning to go back maybe once a week. 
  • After Natalie and I finished the presentation at Casas Adobes, we went to an oriental mart. I was excited to get some groceries not available in typical grocery stores. 
This next week is looking just as busy, if not busier! I am still trying to find a Bible study to attend and we are also still working on my bike situation. I would appreciate your prayers in these areas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment