Sunday, September 15, 2013

Grace Alone

Today, I attended a United Methodist Church (Catalina UMC) for a Sunday service for the first time since I've lived here.

I have discovered that the bus system is not very reliable. This morning I went to the bus stop and waited half an hour before the bus came, and it wasn't the bus I expected. I boarded it anyway, and it did stop only a block away from where I was planning to get off on the original bus. I was then planning to take one more bus over to the church. 

Unfortunately, the other bus drove by before I could get to the next stop. That meant I had to walk the rest of the way to the church. Googlemaps claimed this was only a 15 minute walk, but in reality, it was double. In the hot Arizona sun this was not the most fun. I am thankful for my investment in an insulated water bottle. 

This might seem a little extreme, but there is only one UMC closer to my home than Catalina, and that is the church I am attending the next 2 weeks for work. I wanted to go to church today, so I was willing to make an effort. 

Catalina UMC has 2 traditional and 2 contemporary services. I went to one of each. 

The highlight for me from the first service was a song called "Grace Alone."  I almost stayed for another traditional service just so I could sing it again. The music was elaborate; apparently it is part of a program called "Third Sunday Music." The choir was large and they also had quite the ensemble, complete with a timpani. Some highlights from the message:
"When I don't feel like I need to be forgiven is when I really do need to be forgiven." 
"When you don't want to hear about Jesus dying on the cross for us is when you are lost like the sheep, the coin, the prodigal son..." 
After the service I met a wonderful and friendly man who I exchanged business cards with (I'm such an adult now) and who helped me find the contemporary service. The contemporary worship was different even from other contemporary bands I have experienced in churches. Some of the songs they sang were written by people in their band.  I liked that this service had a "greeting time" and a time for prayer requests (even though that was short.) The traditional service, which was in a large sanctuary, did not have those times. Some message highlights:

"It matters what you believe. It matters how you live. Your faith MUST inform your life."
"How am I being the hands and feet of Jesus Christ for others today and what will I do to model the presence of Christ for others tomorrow?" -John Flowers  
"If you treat people like dirt, you probably don't believe in Jesus."

Another thing I like about Catalina is that they serve communion in the chapel after every service. Unfortunately I was too late to take communion this week, but if I ever return here I could probably take communion between services. The chapel was beautiful and empty when I stopped in after the 2nd service, and the Bible on the altar "just so happened" to be opened to one of my favorite Psalms. (43) This was a sign of comfort and peace to me.

After the second service, I talked with two people. One of them is a dual Ph.D student and she ended up giving me a ride home, which I was very thankful for. If she had not, I would have ended up waiting for the bus for a long time, walking a long way, or both. Because it was the middle of the day by then, I may have even had to go into some of the small stores or restaurants along the way to get out of the heat for a while.

I also learned that during football season, fans go to the early services so they can be home in time for the games, since they start in the morning on the west coast!

Today I am thankful for the opportunity to go to worship in this new place.
 Grace Alone
 Every promise we can make
Every prayer and step of faith
Every difference we will make
is only by His grace

Every mountain we will climb
Every ray of hope we shine
Every blessing left behind
is only by His grace

Grace alone, which God supplies
Strength unknown, He will provide
Christ in us, our Cornerstone
We will go forth in grace alone

Every soul we long to reach
Every heart we hope to teach
Everywhere we share His peace
is only by His grace

Every loving word we say
Every tear we wipe away
Every sorrow turned to praise
is only by His grace

Grace alone, which God supplies
Strength unknown, He will provide
Christ in us, our Cornerstone
We will go forth in grace alone

No comments:

Post a Comment