Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Initial Culture Shock

Yesterday I arrived in Tucson after 2 flights and a little less than 12 hours of travel. I have been warmly received (by both the people and the weather) and I'm settling in here. I haven't been able to come up with a coherent, well-thought out post, but I am making a list of things I have noticed about Tucson so far that are my initial, surface-level "culture shock" experiences:
  • Saguaros! Other cacti! Palm trees! Basically, all the vegetation here is drastically different. I'm seeing all kinds of plants that at home I would only see in fancy greenhouses. 
  • Mountains and desert! Tucson is surrounded by mountain ranges, and it's nice to be able to have these as a reference. I always know which way is north! Also, there is very little grass here. 
  • Weather-- obviously, it is hot here! I haven't had too much experience with the weather yet, but it is monsoon season and it did rain this afternoon. 
  • Sports experiences. 
    • I was looking at the baseball section of the paper today, and the team standings are listed differently than I've seen before. At home, the American League is listed above the National League, and the divisions are listed in the order of east, central, and west. Here, National League is on top, and divisions are listed west, central, east. Given where we are and the fact that the Arizona Diamondbacks are NL, it makes sense. It just wasn't what I was expecting when I thought about differences! 
    • Simply the times of the baseball games are different. I'm so used to seeing 7:05, 10:05 for weekday games and 1-4pm games for Sundays. Here, lots of Sunday games start before noon, and weeknight games start at either 4 or 7. This will carry over to when college football starts.
  • Time difference. I know I will adapt to this, but right now it's quite noticeable. I went to bed at 9pm last night, and I woke up at 4, 5, 6, and 7! It felt so much later to me at all those times. At 9am I was hungry for lunch, and at 3pm I was hungry for dinner. Also, daylight savings time is not observed here. 
  • Building materials. A lot of the buildings and houses here are made from very different materials rarely seen at home. 
  • Different businesses. People list out names of grocery stores and restaurants that seem commonplace to them but which I've never heard of before. (What? Fry's is a grocery store?) 
I'm sure more will come, especially on a deeper/more cultural level, but that's what I'm starting with having been here a little over 24 hours! 

3 comments:

  1. Praying for your transition and it sounds like what everyone thought I was coming to weather and landscape wise, is what you went to rather than me... Hope the transtion goes well and that God becomes your strength when you need it! You've got it all under control with God by your side so keep up the work and enjoy the 2 years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph! More blessings on your journey! :) I can relate with the weird sleeping pattern, I am still struggling with it even if I am a week home now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dear friends! I think of you often! Haha and you wouldn't think the sleeping pattern would be such a big deal...but at 8 or 9pm I start thinking IT IS SO LATE. But no one else feels it. Haha thank you for your encouragement Hayley and Jinky!

    ReplyDelete