Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Destination: Tucson

The wait has ended--I have an official placement! I am moving to Tucson, Arizona in 3 weeks to work with Iskashitaa Refugee Network. Iskashitaa works with refugees from 20 different countries who have been relocated to Tucson. Iskashitaa is a Somali Bantu word for working cooperatively together. (Find out more about the origins of Iskashitaa here.)

Iskashitaa's programs are primarily food-based and aim to assist refugees in becoming self-sufficient following their move to the US. One of their primary programs is harvesting, in which they glean food from crops to prevent food waste and redistribute it to refugees and non-profit organizations. Both refugees and community members are involved in the harvests. My role will be to work to help expand the harvesting, food preservation workshops, and community events. I will also be involved in presentations to educate the public about food justice and refugee resettlement. I know that my understanding of my role and of Iskashitaa itself will become clearer after I arrive and begin working.

Many people have told me I will love Tucson, and I hope that will be true! It looks like a beautiful place to live with a notably different climate and overall environment compared to Michigan. I am excited to be able to experience a new part of the country and to learn from people with diverse backgrounds. Many details still need to be figured out, and I know the transition will not be easy. My hope is that these challenges will help me grow as a person and as a follower of Christ, and that they will also increase my reliance on God and my trust in His faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment