Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Finding my Voice

As our training progressed, it became clear to me that I need to focus on growth in certain areas of my life. One of these areas is sharing my viewpoints. I am a naturally quiet person, and I prefer to think ideas through carefully before I voice them. When conversations move rapidly, I am sometimes unable to think quickly enough to share my thoughts. This is intensified when the subject is potentially controversial, or when I disagree. I try to avoid uncomfortable situations or instances where my words could offend. As a result, I rarely voice my opinions when I know someone might disagree with me--even if my feelings on the subject are strong.

This approach is not helpful to anyone. How can we have discussions and learn from one another if we never voice differing points of view? How am I being true to myself if I never share my beliefs and simply let others think I have the same opinions as they do? My fear of being disagreeable prevents me from disagreeing--but it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. In addition, if I fail to share my contrasting ideas, the other person does not have a chance to explain their viewpoint in greater detail. We lose the opportunity to look at the issue from different perspectives and to think about the challenges to our viewpoint.

My fear of speaking up can also open up the door to judgment. If I do not talk about my feelings when I am hurt or offended, I never give the other person a chance to explain or apologize. This does a disservice to both of us and can damage a relationship without the other person ever knowing why.

I need to learn to speak out, even if I am afraid of what the response might be. I need to learn how to dialogue with others when my opinions differ. I need to learn to speak truth in love. Even if the truth may seem unpleasant, it is more loving to share truth than to keep silent due to fears of conflict or hurt feelings.
I need to find my voice.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, your voice does matter and I look forward to reading/hearing what you have to say throughout your service in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete