Thursday, March 23, 2017

taking sides

I have been too quiet, and it is my dreams that have convicted me.

In my dream, I was talking to someone about politics.
They said, "It's hard to be in the middle ground these days, huh?"
I felt myself recoil. Middle ground?
"But I'm not in the middle ground," my dream self said. "I've taken sides."

I woke up feeling disturbed, convicted. Am I projecting the image that I occupy the middle ground?

Maybe I did stand there, once. But now, I have come to see that this so-called neutral middle ground is not what many would like to think it is. As I just read in Night by Elie Wiesel:

"We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim." 

I have been been afraid to take sides. I'm afraid of the backlash. Afraid of what people will think of me. And yet, these are small issues compared to the oppression so many face daily. I should be more afraid that I did not care for the least of these. I should be afraid that I cared more for my reputation than I did for justice.

I've used many excuses to avoid taking sides, and one the biggest is, "But I don't know enough."
What if I post something or say something and then I can't adequately defend or explain my views? I should wait until I've fully researched the issue before I say anything.

But that time never comes. I will never know every detail about every issue. If I waited until I felt like I was an expert on everything, I would never speak up.

Instead, I should speak out and acknowledge that I do not know everything, that I am still learning, that my words and my actions will not be perfect.

I will make mistakes. I already have, in staying silent about the things that matter most.

"Those who kept silent yesterday will remain silent tomorrow." -Elie Wiesel, Night 

I cannot be silent any longer, lest I will be silent forever.

So let it be known. I have taken sides, and I endeavor always to be on the side of the oppressed.

Black Lives Matter.
I welcome refugees.
America is stronger because of its immigrants, documented or no.
Undocumented people deserve better, and the US needs immigration reform.
Transgender people deserve equal rights and equal protection.
Homosexuality is not a sin.
I'm a feminist.
Racism is not going away, and ignoring it does not help.
There is a place at the table for people of all religions.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. I hope to spend time reflecting on these issues more in-depth in the coming months. May it challenge me to become a better person, to find my voice, and to follow those words with actions.

4 comments:

  1. I am an old man now. I have protested, joined political parties, been mad... And what I have learned is this. Sometimes taking hard stances brings in hatred. Hatred in the heart. I had to disavow myself of political parties and start treating people purely as individuals before I could love people. I also had to learn that people who disagree with me are not the enemy. They are actually just like me. We simply disagree. It's me who chooses to make it a respectful disagreement or to hate over it. Therefore, I have made the decision not to hate. I may disagree, but I will respect you (not you, Steph, but you as in all peoples). In so doing I have found great clarity of thought and an ability to really see all sides of an issue. It's brought me freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. free malware removal tool helps you to clean all kinds of malware and virus from

    your system for free. Also using trojan

    virus remover
    anyone can remove all kind of trojan virus from their system. Now a days people are even searching for adware removal tool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our company uses effective pesticides to eliminate insects such as white ants, cockroaches and all kinds of creeping insects and aircraft
    شركة رش مبيدات ببريدة

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Stephanie. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about you as a questioning christian, feminist, dreamer, wanderer,reader, pianist, justice seeker and about your stand on social issues. I was glad to go through your blog post on "Tanking Sides". In most I do agree with your opinion but with all respect to you I do disagree with you about you saying that Homosexuality is not sin. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. looking forward to hear fro m you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. Also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2018.

    ReplyDelete